Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Grooner Gruner Veltliner 2009

Now this is an eye catching label.  "Perfect for Parties, Great with Food, and Picnics Too" is shown in three boxes on the label.  And the young woman on the label "grooning" is actually the label designer, Toni Silver.  This wine was produced by Meinhard Forstreiter from the Kremstal region in northern Austria along with Monika Caha who was looking to create a wine that could be marketed specifically to the US wine drinkers.  I think she got our attention.  This wonderful crisp and refreshing 100% Gruner Veltliner starts off with a very fruity aroma of pears, apples, lemon zest and a peppery mango.  The flavors were just as robust as the nose with sour green apples that I used to eat from my grandparents trees, pineapple, citrus and a flowery honey along with a hint of pepper.  The acidity was a little overwhelming but still a nice crisp summer wine.  There was a small amount of bitterness on the back end.  I would probably not take this to a picnic unless you could leave it in the ice box with the beer.  This needs to stay cold.  We served it with marinated mahi-mahi tonight and it was a good pairing.  With the tartness, give this a try with an Asian / Thai inspired dish.  The incredible sauces from these dishes would be a great match for this wine. Would, of course, go well with other seafood or shellfish dishes.  The 2009 Grooner Gruner Veltliner retails for about $12. Give this a try.  I want to thank Constance (Brand Action Team) for sending me this to taste and review.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out! Glad you enjoyed the wine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this Grooner Gruner Veltliner 2009. I tried it and it tastes incredible! Thanks for sharing this. Everything you said about Grooner Gruner Veltliner 2009 is just how I experienced it. You put everything into words. If you wont mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to this post.Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post and it's all set, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Christine,
    Thanks for the nice comments. I have a large Foodista logo on the bottom of the right sidebar. I hope this helps.
    Jason

    ReplyDelete